Dr. Martin Grund
Founder & Partner
German Patent Attorney
European Patent Attorney
European Trademark & Design Attorney
- Professional Representative before the European Patent Office
- German Patent & Trademark Office
- German Federal Patent Court
- German Supreme Court for patent nullity proceedings
- European Courts of Justice (case C-34/10, Oliver Bruestle v Greenpeace e.V, 2011)
- Austrian Patent Office
- WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization)
- European Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)
Speak to me.
German and English
Martin has been practicing as a European Patent Attorney and European Trademark & Design Attorney since 1999 and a German Patent Attorney since 1997, and is the founding member of Grund IP Group, which opened its doors in January, 2006.
Dr. Grund began his patent career in 1994 at the Dr. Volker Vossius Law Firm in Munich, Germany, where he eventually became Partner and leader of the firm’s biotechnology patent group from 2001 through the end of 2005. He also had the opportunity to represent before the German Supreme Court (BGH) and the Europeans Courts of Justice in a contentious case relating to the patenting of human embryonic stem cells (case C-34/10, Oliver Bruestle v Greenpeace e.V, decided 18 October 2011).
In addition to his duties at Grund IP Group, Martin is a lecturer for the TÜV-Akademie biotechnology education series and for the “International & Comparative Intellectual Property Law” annual summer program (Munich, Germany) sponsored by the Santa Clara University School of Law, and directed by world-renowned copyright expert Professor Tyler Ochoa.
My Comfort Zone.
European, German and International patent, trademark, and design prosecution, including German utility models; opposition proceedings and appeal hearings before the European Patent Office; nullity proceedings and patent infringement litigation before the German Federal Patent Courts, German Supreme Court and the European Courts of Justice; drafting of patent non-infringement and validity opinions; contracts, including patent licensing agreements and patent assignments; due diligence analysis for both domestic and international transactions; freedom to operate opinions; counseling clients with respect to patent portfolio strategy and management and issues relating to German employee invention rights.
- Ph.D. (Dr. rer. nat.), Biological Sciences, University of Bielefeld (1994)
- Dipl.-Biol., Biology, with emphasis on genetics, University of Bielefeld (1990)
- European Patent Institute of Professional Representatives at the European Patent Office (EPI)
- German Patent Attorneys Association (Patentanwaltskammer)
- Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle / International Federation of Patent Attorneys (FICPI)
- Bundesverband deutscher Patentanwälte (National German Patent Attorneys Association)
- GRUR, Geschäftsstelle der Deutschen Vereinigung für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht (Office of the German
- Association for Commercial Legal Protection & Copyright)
- Vereinigung für allgemeine undangewandte Mikrobiologie (German Association for General & Applied Microbiology)
- German correspondent for the magazine Bio-Science Law Review